Wednesday 4 April 2012

If you don’t want to hear the answer – DON’T ASK THE QUESTION!


A sage piece of advice from my mother “If you don’t want to hear the answer – don’t ask the question.” Especially good advice if you know the answer already or have a good sense of where the conversation might lead.

Further to my earlier post and in keeping with the “mother nature” theme, my seven year old was traumatized recently.  Megan was home from school before March break.  She was too sick for school, but not sick enough for her mind not to be working overtime!  Here’s how the conversation transpired:

Meg:  Mom you remember being pregnant with me … right
Me:  Yes Megan I remember it well
Meg:  Can you get pregnant other than having sex?
Me (now sweating profusely):  Sex is the traditional way to get pregnant, but, well, yes there is another way.  There are occasions where a Dr. takes a women’s egg and a dad’s sperm and with the help of modern medicine combines these elements in the lab, then plants the fertilized egg back in to the mom.  (I am secretly hoping this is the end of the conversation … but I’m not that lucky!)
Meg: How did you get pregnant with me?
Please let the earth swallow me up now … no luck.
Me:  Well your father and I had sex.  We had sex twice, you have a sister remember.
Meg:  Eeeeekkkkk, eeeeeewwww, yuck - I’m never having sex.
Me:  Good idea Meg, however, I won’t hold you to it.  You may change your mind in a few years.  Take your time!  Plenty of time!

Moral:   If you don’t want to hear the answer – DON’T ASK THE QUESTION!

No comments:

Post a Comment