Monday 9 January 2012

The Late Church Ladies



I thought I would start the New Year off right by going to church.   I called my mom and asked her if she wanted to join me.  She agreed and we decided I would pick her up at 10:45 am since church started at 11.
Both of us were ready early and were putting in time waiting to go to church.   Away we went at 10:45 as agreed.   When we got to the parking lot, we both thought there were a lot of cars there.  That should have been our first clue.  I dropped Mom off at the front door since she has trouble walking, so the shorter the distance, the better for her.  Besides, it was raining and watching her juggle a cane, purse and umbrella is too much for me.  Away she goes and I leave to park the car.

I had to circle the church parking lot twice to find a spot.   Again, this seems a bit strange, but it’s true.  When I get to the door, I see mom standing in the entry hall.  Apparently we are 30 minutes late for church and the service is well underway.  Not wanting to disturb the service, we decide it best to wait for a hymn before entering and finding a seat.

My mother would pass out if she had to sit at the front pew.  I’m not sure how she thought we would be able to sneak in without everyone knowing we were late, but that was her plan.  My mom is less than 5 ft. so the cloak rack at the back of the church concealed her appearance, however I am taller and both the minister and choir and the congregation in the back 5 rows all knew we were there.

Our big moment arrived when the collection was being taken up.  We slid in to the back row just in time for collection!

Collection and 2 hymns later, church was over.  It was the fastest service I’ve ever been to in my life and as luck would have it, lunch was being served after church.   Mom and I spent more time visiting at lunch than we did in church. Bonus, however next time we’ll get the time straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment